2.26.2009

Landon's Birthday

Landon's birthday celebration lasted almost a week. Grandma and Grandpa were going out of town so we had his birthday dinner on Sunday night. Jerry made meatball subs about six months ago and Landon has been asking for them ever since. He was very excited and so were we. Jerry is a great cook!


Next came the presents. Grandma and Grandpa gave him a fish which he affectionately named Landon! It is a beta fish and Landon is having so much fun taking care of Landon the fish. He feels a lot of responsibility now to feed him twice a day. It is cute to watch him care for and be concerned about his little fish friend. He got a big kid bike with no training wheels from Mom and Dad (thanks to Grandpa's great DI shopping skills) and was super happy. Dad has been taking him out to the grass to practice with a helmet and so far he is doing great.


Today was actually his birthday. His Dad took him to lunch at the place of his choice...Wingers. He also gave him another piece to add to his Geotrax collection. I know he loves his one an done time with Dad. I actually made him go to the Doctor today. Hopefully, he won't hold it against me when he gets older. The problem is we have a wonderful pediatrician but getting appointments for well checks is tough....I made this appointment in October for the day after his birthday. They called and asked to switch, I immediately said yes because I didn't want to reschedule. I need to register him for Kindergarten in March and wanted to have everything I needed to register him complete. Fortunately, I was able to take only him and my list of questions to the appointment. He actually learned about math while we waited and wrote out a few addition problems of his own. He is a smart kid. He weighs 47 pounds (no wonder it is hard to lift him!) and is 44 1/2 inches tall. The doctor does want to have me check his eyesight because of the screen they did so I will take him to an optometrist just to make sure. The doctor asked Landon a series of questions but before he could start, Landon let the doctor know he had few questions for him. Number 1: Why do I have to get shots? Number 2: How many shots do I have to get? Number 3: I forgot. (He remembered on the way home and was sad he had forgotten to ask what do they put in the shots?) Dr Marsden is great with him and patient enough to give him the answers he is satisfied with. This part of the visit with the doctor was the best.

Dr Marsden: "What are your favorite foods?
Landon: "Pears, oranges and bananas."
Dr Marsden: "Do you like apples?"
Landon: "I love apples."
Dr Marsden:"Do you like vegetables like peas, carrots,broccoli?"
Landon:"Yes, I love broccoli." (Doctor looks at me, I nod yes and doctor feels Landon's forehead to see if he is ok.)
Dr Marsden: "What kind of cereal do you like?"
Landon: "I like whole grain cereal." (Doctor looks at me, feels his forehead and we all start laughing. I thought for sure he would say Lucky Charms.)
Dr Marsden:"I have never had a kid say that before. He is the smartest kid in the world."
He was also very impressed that Landon knew his telephone number with the area code and said that was a first time for him as well. Landon did great. He didn't even cry when he got the shots. Dr Marsden was patient enough to answer all the questions on my list and everyone was happy. Landon is a healthy, happy kid.

No comments: