10.05.2011

SEP's

I had the opportunity to attend the kid's SEP's tonight. I didn't realize I was supposed to bring the kids so I left them home with Jerry and went on my own. It was such a good experience. I went first to Lauren's first grade teacher, Mrs. Hayter. She actually lives across the street from us and is in our ward. Her husband is the basketball coach at Wasatch High School. Lauren is doing great in her class. She said one of her strengths is math. She picks up on it extremely quick. I have been going to help in Lauren's class and she has a boy named Harley in her class who has some challenges. I have been asking Lauren how he is doing and to make sure she is always kind to him. Mrs. Hayter told me an experience that she had with Lauren that really touched her. Mrs. Hayter has her own kids come in after school to help Harley because he needs so much extra help. One day her kids were unable to come so she placed Harley strategically between two students she thought would help him. She looked over and noticed the two students weren't helping him but Lauren had her arm around him and was trying to help him. She said most of the other kids shy away fro him because he is different and they don't know how to respond to him. I actually started crying. It really touched my heart to learn more about the special person Lauren is. I came home and told her how proud I was of her for seeking out the one who needed help and not being afraid to help him. Landon is in the second grade and his teacher is Mrs. Smith. She is a young teacher with lots of energy. She told me Landon is actually reading at a sixth grade level. I felt a little foolish for not pushing him more in this area but I was unaware he was reading so well. She said not only is he reading at that level but he is reading fast and comprehending what he is reading. I think if I can get the right books in his hands he will start to absoutely love reading. He is doing great in all other subjects as well. He is also good at math. She said Landon also helps others and is kind to kids in his class. I think that teaching my kids to be kind is something I really hope they take to heart. I also talked to Landon's PE teacher who said Landon is one of the most athletic of the 2nd graders. I hope he can learn to love athletics and us this as a way to learn discipline and other life's lessons. I am grateful they have such good teachers and are doing so well. They are loving Heber Valley Elementary!

No comments: