12.07.2008

Christmas Traditions



We started the first of our Christmas traditions last night. Nickolaus is a german tradition where you put your shoes out on the night of the 6th. If you have been good, you will find candy in your shoes and if not you will get a potato. This year the kids got letters from Santa Claus as well. It is a fun way to start out Christmas. The kids were so excited to see their shoes overflowing with candy. We are also trying to do Advent by doing a little Sunday night singing and telling Christmas stories. We are lacking the Advent wreath but hope to get one for next year. We are hoping this will help us to think more about the Savior and reflect on Christ.

3 comments:

Brittney said...

My daughter just had a "Christmas around the world" party at school today and they did the candy in the shoes. She thought it was the coolest thing ever so it looks like we picked up a new family tradition as well.:) I am pretty sure that I remember you serving a mission. Is that where you served your mission or why did this tradition have particular meaning to your family? I love traditions and learning about other people's traditions and why they celebrate them.

Anonymous said...

I served my mission in Germany and Jerry was introduced to the church by his best friend who is from Germany. We love all the german traditions.

Cresta said...

Rob's mom is from Germany so we inherited all these great German Christmas traditions - I love it!! I love the Santa letter idea!!